Epic Cinemas Privacy Notice
This Notice explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
Epic Cinemas (and including this website, www.epiccinemas.co.za) are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently.
Who we are:
Epic Cinemas is an independent cinema company operating in South Africa
The type of personal information we collect:
In order to provide you with the services offered by Epic Cinemas, you may be required by Epic Cinemas to provide us with personal information. Personal information is information, which identifies you as an individual, including but not limited to, your name, contact details, opinions, IP address, identity number etc. The failure by you to consent to the processing of your personal information shall result in Epic Cinemas being unable to render some of its services to you or achieving the purpose for which the personal information is processed, such as being unable to reserve your seat for your booking.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
How we get the personal information and what we use it for:
There are three ways we collect your personal information:
- from the information you provide to us online and by email;
- from the information you give to us physically in our cinemas; and
- when you interact with a promotional activity, for example on social media.
We may need to transfer your information to our third party partners in order to ensure you receive the services you have signed up for.
Should you have selected the option of receiving direct marketing communication:
- each time we send you marketing information by e-mail or SMS text messaging, we will provide an opportunity for you to unsubscribe from receiving further information from us; and
- you may receive customised advertising from us on digital and social media platforms.
Collection of Information by “Cookies”
When will we process your personal information:
In terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), the justification ground which we base our processing on consist out of the following:
- The data subject or a competent person where the data subject is a child consents to the processing. Kindly note that you have the right to withdraw your consent;
- The processing is necessary to carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party;
- The processing complies with an obligation imposed by law on the business;
- The processing protects a legitimate interest of the data subject;
- The processing is necessary for the proper performance of a public law duty by the business;
- The processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of the business or of a third party to whom the information is supplied.
How we store your personal information:
If the Electronic Communication and Transaction Act No.25 of 2005 (ECTA) applies we are required to retain information sent to us electronically for as long as it is being used and at least one year thereafter.
If ECTA does not apply we will not keep your personal information any longer than is necessary for achieving the purpose for which the information was collected, unless: (a) required by law, (b) for lawful purposes; (c) required by contract; (d) with your consent; or (e) for historical, statistical or research purposes provided appropriate safeguards against the records being used for any other purposes have been established.
Your data protection rights:
- You are entitled to access your personal data by sending a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may charge you a fee for this service as set out in terms of Condition 8 of POPIA.
- You may also request Epic Cinemas to correct or supplement any of your personal data which Epic Cinemas will undertake as soon as practicable.
- Request the destruction of your personal data. Epic Cinemas Responsible officer will consider your request in light of any other laws or regulations prohibiting Epic Cinemas from destroying your personal data.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
How to complain:
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also complain to the Information Regulator if you are unhappy with how we have used your Information.
Their contact details are as follows:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
33 Hoofd Street
Forum III, 3rd Floor Braampark
P.O Box 31533
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za